Remembrance Sunday Terror at Liverpool Women's Hospital

Three people have been arrested by counter-terror police following a fatal car explosion outside a Liverpool hospital.

The men are aged 29, 26, and 21 according to police and were detained in the Kensington area of Liverpool before being arrested under the Terrorism Act, in connection with the explosion.

"Detectives from Counter Terrorism Police North West continue to keep an open mind about the cause of the explosion and are working closely with colleagues at Merseyside Police as the investigation continues at pace," the police statement added.

One person died and another was injured in the fire outside of the hospital
Image:One person died and another was injured in the fire outside of the hospital

Merseyside Police said officers were called to Liverpool Women's Hospital at 10.59am on Sunday. Images shared online showed a car on fire and later burnt out, with smoke billowing over the building.

Armed police were pictured outside a house in the city following the explosion.

"Unfortunately, we can confirm that one person has died and another has been taken to hospital where he is being treated for his injuries, which thankfully are not life-threatening," the force said.

A later statement confirmed that the deceased was a passenger in the car, and that the driver was injured and remains in hospital in a stable condition.

Armed police at an address in Liverpool after an explosion
Image:Armed police were seen at an address in Liverpool

"So we far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred," the statement added.

Counter-terrorism officers are leading the investigation "out of caution" but detectives said they are keeping an "open mind" over the cause.

There was a heavy police presence outside the hospital after the incident
Image:There was a heavy police presence outside the hospital

The hospital said visiting was being restricted until further notice, with patients diverted to other hospitals where possible.

A statement said ambulances were still arriving and that staff could leave and enter "under the supervision of the police".

Stay connected! If you want to be notified of our latest videos, livestreams and more, why not consider subscribing to our channel!

Parler Whatsapp VK Twitter
British Freedom Party