Archbishop of Canterbury confirms Harry and Meghan's 'secret wedding' story was a LIE
The Archbishop of Canterbury has completely destroyed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's claim that he married them at a secret ceremony before their Windsor Castle wedding.
The couple told Oprah Winfrey three weeks ago, that they had already been married by Archbishop Justin Welby in their back garden.
Meghan Markle told Oprah that the couple secretly tied the knot three days before the royal wedding, which was watched by tens of millions of TV viewers on May 19, 2018.
Meghan said: "You know, three days before our wedding, we got married - no-one knows that.
"Just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury."
She claims she and Harry rang the Archbishop and asked him to marry them during a private ceremony.
Meghan told Oprah: "We called the Archbishop and we just said, 'Look, this thing, this spectacle is for the world but we want our union between us'."
Markle said the couple exchanged personal vows which are now framed in the bedroom of their mansion in Montecito, near Los Angeles.
Meghan added: "So, like, the vows that we have framed in our room are just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury."
Harry then jokingly sang: "Just the three of us, just the three of us."
Previously, the Archbishop of Canterbury had declined to speak out as pressure grew on him to debunk the claim.
A legal marriage in the UK requires two witnesses and for him to have falsified their marriage certificate, as Meghan Markles claims would support.
Breaking his silence, he has now confirmed that he signed Harry and Meghan's wedding certificate on the day millions watched them marry.
The legal wedding was on Saturday 19th May 2018 at St George's Chapel, he said.
In an interview he was asked 'what happened with Meghan and Harry? Did you really marry them three days before the official wedding?'
To which he replied: 'The legal wedding was on the Saturday. I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offence if I signed it knowing it was false.'
Harry and Meghan, who have now been completely relieved of their royal duties, backtracked on their private ceremony claim in a statement last week.
It has led to heavy suspicion about the authenticity of the many other claims made by the pair in their 'tell all' Oprah interview, during which they accused the Royal Family of racism, a claim which his brother and heir to the throne, Prince William publicly and unequivocally denied.
|Stay connected! If you want to be notified of our latest videos, livestreams and more, why not consider subscribing to our Purged.tv channel!|